Did you awake feeling refreshed, energized and ready to start the day? Or did you hit the snooze button, grudgingly roll out of bed and rely on coffee to get you through the day.
Here's the good news. Safe, natural and non-addicting ways to sleep better are possible!
- Bedroom - Reserve the bedroom for sleeping & love making NOT watching TV or working. Create a tranquil, relaxing environment.
- Darkness - Keep the bedroom completely dark by covering windows and alarm clocks. This stimulates melatonin, the hormone that promotes sleep.
- Schedule - Set a regular bedtime. Our bodies like regular schedules.
- Temperature - keep the room slightly cool at night.
- Unwind - How do you relax at the end of the day? Try lighting candles, listening to soft music and having a warm bath with epsom salts & lavender essential oil to promote sleep.
- Avoid Caffeine - coffee, tea, cocoa, chocolate, soft drinks
- Exercise - Exercise improves sleep but don’t vigorously exercise within three hours of bedtime as it is stimulating and will keep you awake.
- Calm the Racing Mind - Find ways to reduce stress in your life. Try deep breathing, yoga or meditation. Take time for yourself every day!
- Herbal Support - Use relaxing tea blends with herbs such as •Chamomile •Skullcap •Hops •Passionflower •Valerian •Oats Steep one tablespoon of medicinal tea for at least 15 minutes.
- Acupuncture - Try acupuncture to calm the nervous system and support sleep.
There are many causes of sleep problems. To address the cause, there are no quick fixes. However, there is hope to sleep soundly and feel rested!