This soup is not only delicious, it also contains immune boosting foods, such as astragalus and shiitake mushrooms. Astragalus is sold as a dried root and can be found at Chinese markets and most stores that sell bulk herbal medicines. It adds a pleasant flavour and medicinal value to your soup.
5 C chicken or vegetable stock
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion
4-10 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
1 1-2" pieces of ginger root, peeled & chopped finely
1 C sliced carrots
1 slice Astragalus root
1 C shiitake mushrooms (fresh or reconstituted), sliced
1 C broccoli, chopped
Noodles (udon, soba or whatever you like)
2 tbsp miso paste (optional)
1) Bring broth to a boil
2) Heat olive oil in a skillet and add onion, ½ of chopped garlic, ginger. Sauté over low heat until soft and aromatic.
3) Add skillet ingredients to broth along with astragalus, carrots & mushrooms.
4) Simmer, covered about 1h.
5) Add noodles and broccoli and cook until al dente.
7) Add miso paste and the remaining ½ of chopped garlic at end of cooking. Be sure to remove astragalus before serving.
Enjoy and feel better soon!